Becoming a Foster Carer
The application process to become a foster carer in Queensland with Althea Projects Foster and Kinship Program is detailed below. The process to become a foster carer from submission of application to approval is usually between 2-4 months depending on each person’s circumstances.
The process to become a kinship carer differs and we recommend you speak with Althea Projects Foster and Kinship Program for further information.
The process to become a foster carer is:
- Register your interest to become a foster carer. Phone us on (07) 4779 3332 or email us at email@example.com
- Althea Projects Foster and Kinship Program will contact you and take some basic information from you and provide you with an information kit.
- A member of Althea Projects Foster and Kinship Program will contact you and arrange a home visit to discuss becoming a foster carer with you in greater depth. In addition to us finding out more about you, this is an opportunity for you to find out more about becoming a foster carer, and whether you are comfortable that we are the agency you can best work with.
A household safety study will also need to be carried out on your home at this initial home visit.
- All foster carers are required to complete mandatory training before proceeding to the next stage. Modules 1-4 of the Quality Care – Foster Carer Training. An Althea Projects Foster and Kinship Program staff member will discuss training delivery options with you.
- On successful completing the training Althea Projects Foster and Kinship Program assessor will commence your assessment. The assessment includes interviews on topics such as your motivation to foster, ability to manage stress and own childhood experience. You will complete the application form (APA) which requires you to supply detailed information about you and your family and give consent for the Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women services to complete personal history checks (which includes child protection, traffic and criminal history). Once Althea Projects Foster and Kinship Program is notified you are eligible to proceed the assessment interviews will commence.
- During the assessment phase the Althea Projects Foster and Kinship Program assessor will also require the following information:
- Blue Card confirmation or application forms completed for yourself and all adult members
- A health and wellbeing questionnaire
- GP Report
- Referee reports
- Agreement to Participate
- Bank details
- Fire Escape Plan
- Pool registration (if applicable)
- Employment History.
- Once the assessment is finalised (with the recommendation to approve or not), the assessment is lodged to the Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women for determination for your approval as a Foster Carer. Once the Department makes the decision you will receive either your Certificate of Approval (for 1 year) or a letter outlining why approval was not granted.
For more information on becoming a Foster Carer https://www.csyw.qld.gov.au/child-family/foster-kinship-care